Saturday, May 22, 2004

14 Years of Friendship

By Heather Leenders

First Thoughts

How do you share with the world those things that we shared without telling the whole story?

With you a ride up the chairlift is a timeline of the first day we spent together as real friends. Run after run until the lights came on. In my mind I’m looking down at the upside-down, heart-shaped rock where you had a first kiss. (Hope you don’t mind that I’m telling.)

Do you remember “Bay Windows?”

With you I just utter the word “mattress” and we burst into laughter. Without explanation this might make others wonder. Come to think of it, I’m still not sure why carrying an air mattress up two flights of stairs (including a small landing) was fall down hysterical, tears streaming down your face funny. In 14 years you’ve never gotten through the whole explanation without laughter swallowing your words.

“Watch out for the pole… you… just… hit….” Who else can claim a more memorable first outing on the new driver’s license?

With you pouring a cup of soda on the purple rug in my room brings four words to mind: “Don’t let it spill.” More laughter, and the fizz tops the rim of the glass. The stains still there are reminders of Friday night pizzas and giggles ‘til dawn.

“Life is a highway…”

.With you staying late in the English Office we put the finishing touches on the newspaper. Fourth and Goal. Snow. Faculty-Student basketball game. Wasn’t there pizza involved, too?

“Uncle Remmie’s Cards for Alternate Occasions”

With you we went through the blood harvest with Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders. Remember when we were laughing so loud? The nurses kept saying they’d never seen anyone like us. Imagine: two 25-year olds playing hard-core games of colors and numbers. And of course… the laughter

The blue Umbro shorts with the white trim…ohh… shrubbery!

With you I got a chance to say goodbye. (Thank you for thinking of me, Chris.) I love you, Casey. And I heard you whisper, I love you, too.

Heather and Casey grew up together in Holyoke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home