Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Amy and Grover

By Jake Grove

The night was like any other at the local watering hole for the Anderson Independent-Mail staff. We were drinking too much and playing pool worse than ever. That was the first time I really remember meeting Casey.

Sure, we had met in passing during her interview, but when she actually came to work and someone dragged (a term I use loosely because like all of us young journalists, no one ever had to drag us to a bar) her to the bar for some decompression. I was a few 7 and 7s into the evening and decided to play some pool. Casey decided she wanted to play me.

"Hey Amy," I said with a slightly slurred voice. "You ready to get beat."

"I'm Casey, and yes," she said with a sly grin.

"Really? Your name is Casey? I could have sworn it was Amy," I responded with a miscue on the break.

"Nope, It's Casey," she said, sinking her first shot.

"I think I'm just going to call you Amy from now on. Would that be okay?"

"Sure."

I don't remember much more from that night aside from having my butt kicked in pool regularly. The Amy/Casey thing became a running joke between us.

People would ask Casey why Jake was calling her Amy and Casey would just tell them that that is what I think her name is. In fact, the last time I saw her was a night I was bartending at that same pub and right before she left, I yelled out, "See you later, Amy."

We both had a few tears in our eyes and she said, "Bye Grover."

Cool lady that one.

Good times. Good times.

* * *

When the newspaper staff in Anderson first found out about Casey's cancer, a kind of "Help Casey" board was set up. This was a way we could take Casey to her treatments and appointments, get her the food she needed and otherwise be her parents while she stayed in Anderson.

Well, of course, everyone helped out, but I remember taking her up to
the doctor's appointment for some followup to a treatment. Anyone who knows me knows that I get easily distracted and I wanted to be focused for this trip.

Of course, anyone that knows Casey knows that she isn't about to let
someone focus on cancer when there is fun to be had.

By the time we reached the exit for the hospital we weren't thinking
about anything cancer related. Instead, we were devising a plan to somehow get our hands on a couple of wheelchairs for some racing. We went in, calm as could be, and I figured I would be outside for most of the checkup. Aside from a few moments, Casey wanted me to hang out with her through the whole thing and I learned more about that hospital and her ailment than I ever thought I would.

I also learned where they keep the wheelchairs.

Of course, karma wouldn't let us take the chairs, but I do remember wheeling her out to the car just for fun. And I remember looking at Casey and knowing that no matter what, she would do this thing on her own terms. I really believe she did.

And I know I was a better person for knowing her.

Then again, who among could possibly say otherwise.
Jake worked with Casey at the Anderson Independent Mail

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home