Thursday, October 21, 2004

Not a coincidence

I knew I was going to cry a little. That much was inevitable.

With the Red Sox holding a big lead in the middle innings, I had an unusual calm about me that I don’t usually get during playoff baseball games. I knew they were going to win. I knew I was going to cry.

It was an almost perfect night. The only thing missing was Casey. She would have liked this. Maybe I’m being foolish, but something in me believes she had something to do with it. Maybe I just want to think so.

But as so many of you told me by phone or e-mail this morning and late last night, she was in all our thoughts as we watched the game. I’ve been carrying a wooden Irish necklace, that I bought her in Belfast, with me during each of the game. I rub it when the Sox need some luck. It has been pretty successful in recent days.

I’ll have it with me Sunday for Game 7 of the World Series. I have a feeling Casey will be there too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was thinking the same thing. there's no doubt that she is pulling some strings for the sox.
it's amazing. i had no doubt that they were going to win ... even when they were down 0-3.

.marcus

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I've read everything on this site, I've never actually posted anything here. I cover South Carolina for the Florence, S.C., Morning News and became good friends with Casey when she was on the beat.

Like many of you, I couldn't help thinking of her during the great comeback by the Sox, and wouldn't be surprised at all if she had something to do with it.

I can imagine a short conversation going something like this:
Casey: Hey, God? I know you're not supposed to hate anybody, but I hate the Yankees, and, as you know, I love the Red Sox. And I just think it would be a really cool thing if the Sox came back and won four straight.
God: Sounds like good a plan.

And so it was.

Since I've been a Cardinals' fan for my entire life, I can't wish the Sox well over the next week. But should the Red Sox win, I'll know why. And I might not even mind at all.

-- Mark

2:30 PM  
Blogger Arni said...

Matt,

Good to see a bunch of us had the same idea while watching the Red Sox win the other night.

I know Casey would probably yell at me for jumping on the bandwagon, but I've got to root for the Sox in the Series.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home